Friday 22 January 2010


Reality finally hit when classes began Monday afternoon. I started off the week with my History of London class at 1:30 and discovered that we will be going all over London to dig into the rich history on Wednesdays. I also started one of my core marketing classes, Distribution and Retail Management. I have a project where I compare two major businesses, which our group chose Starbucks and Caffe Nero. All semester we will research which aspects of the stores are appealing and what these companies can do to improve.

My nine o'clock class on Tuesday and Thursday is Corporate Finance. The professor has two PhDs and is certified in almost every area of business. Little did I know I was going to be prepared to become a CFA (chartered financial analyst). This intelligent woman is trying to convince us that the CFA is the best way to go in the business world. When I asked how this could benefit someone like me, a marketing and PR major, she said that my salary would go from $50k to $250k a year. Oh yeah and also I would probably end up doing finance anyways since there is a greater need for them than us "marketing people." What she doesn't know, is that I don't care about my salary. She also doesn't know that I hate corporate business. I'm taking this class because it's required for me to graduate. Since when is making the most money more important than doing something you're passionate about? Anyways....

I ended my week of classes with Money and Banking, a three hour class that may potentially put me to sleep. I've found friends in almost all of my classes to entertain me, especially when I need to chuckle about my finance professor who wears false eyelashes and has an up-do that was probably invented in the 80s.

Last night I went ice skating with some of my favorite friends here... Jackie, Katy, and Bess. One of our RAs came along and showed us the ropes. There is always so much going on, London could never get old. We experienced some delectable Haagen Dazs, aka heaven in my mouth afterwards and then headed home to watch some Glee. I get the chills every time I watch this show. It's the whole music effect on me. It never gets old. My Friday has consisted of a little shopping for rain boots, which was successful, episodes of Glee, blogging, and the movie Nine tonight!

Tomorrow is a big day. I'm going to Windsor Castle, the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world! It's going to be incredible, but with the luck we've been having it will rain all day.

1 comment:

  1. "What she doesn't know, is that I don't care about my salary."
    Thatta girl! :)

    ReplyDelete